SPOILER ALERT!

Book Review : Unscripted Nicole Kronzer

unscripted   - Nicole Kronzer

May 11-14

A funny and timely debut YA about the toxic masculinity at a famous improv comedy camp

Seventeen-year-old Zelda Bailey-Cho has her future all planned out: improv camp, then Second City, and finally Saturday Night Live. She’s thrilled when she lands a spot on the coveted varsity team at a prestigious improv camp, which means she’ll get to perform for professional scouts—including her hero, Nina Knightley. But even though she’s hardworking and talented, Zelda’s also the only girl on Varsity, so she’s the target for humiliation from her teammates. And her 20-year-old coach, Ben, is cruel to her at practice and way too nice to her when they’re alone. Zelda wants to fight back, but is sacrificing her best shot at her dream too heavy a price to pay?

Equal parts funny and righteous, Unscripted is a moving debut novel that Printz Award winner Nina LaCour calls "a truly special book, written at exactly the right time."

Review: I loved this book it was a very emotional read but it was funny to . This is about Zelda she is going to a improv camp with her brother and his boyfriend. She meets her bunkmates and they are all very different but awesome girls . Zelda has to deal with a coach who is abusive asshole and her teammates are Jerks who don't think girls are funny . A lot goes on in this book Zelda also meets some great boy scouts Jesse namely is my favorite he is actually kind to Zelda and respects her. Ben is a monster he assaults her she kicks him to get away he yells at her tells her the only reason she's on the team is cause she's hot and she's a girl but he's 20 and she's 17 she's a minor yet he touched her inappropriately many times and when she tries to tell the two Paul's in charge they don't listen. She goes on a hike with Jesse and she tells him she likes him and then when she gets back at camp Ben is there and he hits Jesse and then she hits Ben where the sun don't shine and she gets kicked out of camp yep thats logic but she ends up staying with Karen the nurse at boy scout camp. And the police officer asks her if she wants to press charges she thinks about it for a second and then the Paul's say if she doesn't press charges she can come back to camp what a bunch of assholes so she presses charges. They ended up sneaking her back onto camp so she could meet Nina and they do her sketch she wrote . Everyone needs to read this book.

Quotes:

The situation should be if you two are happy together, everyone else should be happy for you. And not gross-happy.”

Lady doctor? I guess that makes you my gentleman patient.” I looked down at his “chart.” “Ah! I see you’ve had a series of brain injuries that make you say inappropriate things.

I was relying on books by Rainbow Rowell and Nicola Yoon and Maurene Goo and on movies like The Princess Bride and Love, Simon

Hey, Ellie. Come on,” Ben said. “Smile.” “She doesn’t have to smile if she doesn’t want to.”

Is that what you want, Zelda-girl?” Hanna asked. She pushed my knee. “Someone who’s only nice to you sometimes?”

If I leave, they’ll have won.” “If you stay,” Sirena mused, “doesn’t that excuse their behavior?

Will stopped walking. “You know, I’m offended by that. Guys everywhere should be offended. ‘Boys will be boys’? What—we’re so out of control we can’t be kind? Thoughtful? Human? ‘Boys will be boys’ aligns us with wild animals. I can think about what I say before I say it. I can anticipate how someone else might feel before I do something. I can keep it in my pants.”